12/3/09

banner making time

Roisin here, the Doer of Things That Need Doing. like banners! I'm a screenprinter, and volunteered to make a large banner that could be used at this event, and at other City of Craft events, too. I have previously made a very large banner for the halifax crafters, so I knew what I wanted to do right away.
I started by taping together sheets of newsprint the same size as my fabric, and drawing out what I wanted on the banner. it's a good thing I had a second side to that paper, otherwise it may have ended up as 'City of Cra', and we all know where that would have led us!


then I put a large cutting mat under one section, and cut everything out with an exacto knife, remembering to save the 'middles' of the letters that had them.


next, I taped the paper down to the canvas, using lots of little 'bubbles' of tape. this took a while, but is worth it in the end.

Finally, the fun part. I then printed with my patterned screens over top of the newsprint, using a variety of colours and patterns. this is where the work to stick everything down with tape comes in handy - the newsprint curls when it's wet [like when it's screenprinted upon], and all those bubbles kept everything in place, and tidy.


layers, layers, layers!


and here's a peek - you'll have to come to the show to see the whole thing, but i think it looks just great. mind you, I'm a little biased.

r

8 comments:

  1. Roisin--

    That looks AMAZING! I can't wait to see it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i second that emotion, ro! and what a brilliant alternative to making a boring, single-use screen for each letter.

    i, too, can not wait to see this thing in action!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this banner!! can't wait for the show!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! this is going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey, thanks y'all! i'm kinda in love with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's amazing roisin! can't wait to see it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am very excited sbout this too, and it's really nice to see the process laid out here...

    ReplyDelete