I started by taping together sheets of newsprint the same size as my fabric, and drawing out what I wanted on the banner. it's a good thing I had a second side to that paper, otherwise it may have ended up as 'City of Cra', and we all know where that would have led us!
then I put a large cutting mat under one section, and cut everything out with an exacto knife, remembering to save the 'middles' of the letters that had them.
next, I taped the paper down to the canvas, using lots of little 'bubbles' of tape. this took a while, but is worth it in the end.
Finally, the fun part. I then printed with my patterned screens over top of the newsprint, using a variety of colours and patterns. this is where the work to stick everything down with tape comes in handy - the newsprint curls when it's wet [like when it's screenprinted upon], and all those bubbles kept everything in place, and tidy.