12/13/11

Sponsor Profile: Bespoke Uprising

Bespoke Uprising

Who are you? I'm Roisin, maker of textile goods at bespoke uprising.

Where are you located? A new migrant to Hamilton, with a very lovely studio on James Street North. Previously in London, Ontario & Halifax, Nova Scotia

Bespoke Uprising

What do you/your business/your product do? I do heaps of drawing and screenprinting, and also lots of sewing on an industrial Brother machine that my brother shipped to me in Halifax when he lived in Vancouver. I also do a good bit of fabric dyeing, including a natural fermentation indigo vat as well as marigold and queen anne's lace that I grow on the back deck of my studio.

Bespoke Uprising


What gets you pumped about doing what you do?
Colour, pattern, and form! I love the science of it all, how various mordants react to the plant dyes and fabrics, and how specific fabrics function best with specific jobs - like the hemp & organic cotton that I use for my teatowels. It's just such a great absorbent cloth, and washes up so nicely. I am also thrilled over tiny details that I put into my work, including my patterns. The new burlesque print has a man in it, after years of requests!

Bespoke Uprising


What does your sponsorship for the show entail?
I've printed 20 small cotton bags, and filled them with some of my hand printed fabrics, and put one of the fabric covered pins on it as well. I think they're going into the swag bags on Saturday. I also just finished printing jersey circle scarves and bandana scarves for the volunteers.

Bespoke Uprising


What are you crafting this holiday season (festive beverages & baked goods count)?
Well, my mother-in-law has been hinting at cushions for her livingroom, so some of those for sure. Also all the goods that I'm bringing to the City of Craft show, and hopefully many cookies and a cake or two. Oh, and festive cocktails!

When City of Craft (and other awesome indie shows) is not on, where do you go for your crafty fix? I sell my work in a few shops, so I get my fill of craft most of the year in my studio. Across the street from me is White Elephant, and when I'm in Toronto I make sure to buy too much fabric that I'll have a hard time cutting up at the workroom. I also teach at Sheridan College, and the Alberta College of Art, both of which are full of so many fantastic crafty staff and students.

Bespoke Uprising

No comments:

Post a Comment